The Premium Investor stream of subclass 188 allows individuals who invest A$15m in a “Complying Investment” to move to Australia with their immediate family.
An invitation from Austrade is required for all individuals seeking a visa under this pathway.
The main qualifying requirements are that the main visa applicant must:
- Have (individually, or combined with the main visa applicant’s partner or spouse) assets of at least A$15 million that have been legally acquired, are unencumbered, and are available to be used to make a “Complying Investment” in Australia.
- Not have a history of involvement in unacceptable business or investment activities.
- Agree not to take legal action against the Commonwealth of Australia for any loss of capital arising from the Complying Investment.
- Have a genuine and realistic commitment to continue business and investment activities in Australia after the Complying Investment has been held continuously for the life of the subclass 188 visa.
- Have a genuine and realistic commitment to reside in the State or Territory that provides the nomination for the visa application.
Complying Investments for the purpose of the Premium Investor stream are:
- Australian securities exchange listed assets.
- Australian government or semi-government bonds or notes.
- Corporate bonds or notes issued by an Australian exchange listed entity (or wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian listed entity), or investment grade rated Australian corporate bonds or notes rated by an AFS licenced debt rating agency.
- Australian proprietary limited companies.
- Real property in Australia, excluding residential property.
- Deferred annuities issued by Australian registered life companies.
- State or territory government approved philanthropic contribution.
The 188 visa is a provisional or temporary residency visa, which allows individuals holding such a visa to be in a very attractive tax position.
It has a validity of 4 years and 3 months, and before the expiry of the visa another visa must be applied for – this can be either:
- Another 2 years on the subclass 188 visa – this 2 year extension can be applied for twice to give 8 years in total as the holder of a subclass 188 visa, or
- Permanent residency, usually a subclass 888 visa.
Requirements for the subclass 888 permanent residency visa are discussed here.
GM Investor Visas works with our clients on the basis of fixed fees, and a wish to have a long term relationship based on our expertise, trust and a quality service.
We look forward to hearing from you.